Most probloggers I know have plenty of blogs at any given time. In fact, most bloggers I know have five or more blogs. Right now I have about 8 blogs that are currently being updated, plus I also need to network them.
What happens when I don’t pay attention, is I start playing favorites. By playing favorites, what I mean is that at the blogs I like best I may…
- Post more often.
- Post higher quality posts.
- Use my best material for said favorite blog, even though it might fit at another blog.
- Network that blog like a manic.
- Make sure that the blog is nice and tidy (i.e links work, blogroll updated).
Why I play favorites:
My reasons differ, but it usually comes down to one or more of the following…
- I LOVE the topic.
- It’s more trouble free than other blogs. For example, if I barely work at it, I’ll still get new readers. It’s easy, thus a favorite.
- I like my readers at one blog better.
- The blog pays better.
- My boss is cool.
- Everyone else likes the blog – such as people link to it, it gets traffic, the blog gets nominated for awards, etc. Who doesn’t like love?
Problem: If you spend all your time at one or two blogs, your other blogs suffer. As a blogger you really do need to find a suitable amount of time to give to each project. If you play favorites, it becomes tough to accomplish this.
Right now, I actually do have two favorite blogs (I’ll never tell which). I also have some solutions for how to deal when you clearly like one blog better than another. But I’ll do that post next. First, I’m curious, because I can’t be the only one; do you play blog favorites, and if so why?