In 2019, immigrants worldwide sent over $550 billion home to family and friends, dwarfing foreign governmental aid. In the age of cheap, quick transfers through services like Paypal and Venmo, these people are trekking to stores to pay fees averaging over 7% for transfers that typically take 24 hours or more.
Sendwave’s mission is to change that by making sending money anywhere in the world easy and affordable. Since 2014, our app has allowed diaspora members from several African nations – and more recently Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, saving our users over 70% relative to Western Union and MoneyGram.
We are looking to rapidly expand around the world in the next year. That’s where you come in…
How you’ll help us achieve it
Sending money abroad is intensely personal, and the relationship a sender has with their money transfer provider should be, too. In 2014, when we started Sendwave, we didn’t see that in the marketplace. Instead, most senders hated their money transfer provider – they were unresponsive corporations with extortionate fees. We set about building real relationships with our users and tried to treat them like the heroes they are. In the beginning, it was easier to make that personal connection – if we made a mistake that affected a user, our CEO would simply pick up the phone and call to explain and apologize. When we were only serving the Kenyan diaspora, it was easy for users to feel that Sendwave had been built just for them.
The personal touch and small scale was nice, but our mission has always been to make sending money anywherein the world as easy and affordable as sending a text. That compelled us to scale beyond one corridor and surpass the size at which our CEO could easily respond to every user query.
In this role, your charge will be to help us retain the sense of personal connections we’ve cultivated with our users as we scale globally and from 500,000 monthly users to 5 million and beyond. You’ll write copy for the application itself, for emails, texts, and digital ads, even copy for job descriptions like this one. (Let’s be honest, this copy could use some help!)
In your first few months, you’ll:
- Ensure Sendwave has a strong and unique voice across the globe, by developing Sendwave’s tone of voice and glossary guidelines, working closely with our Head of Brand
- Develop copy for our first LatAm and Southeast Asian country launches, including reviewing the website copy to move from an Africa-centric brand to a more global one
- Partner closely with multiple teams, including Product and Marketing, to write and proofread clear, attractive and consistent copy
- Collaborate with various stakeholders on the growth marketing team to implement multi-channel campaigns.
- Collaborate with hiring managers to rewrite our job descriptions to more compellingly express our mission and our needs.
- Location: Our company is 100% remote— you can be based anywhere in the the United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Germany, Belgium, Kenya, or Senegal. We will consider contractors in countries not listed on a case-by-case basis.
- We will accept both part-time freelance and full-time contract applications for this role.
- Part time compensation: Worldwide: $195/day | US: $315/day
- Full time compensation: Worldwide: $51,000 | US: $115,000
- 5+ years experience copywriting in response to project briefs
- Excellent writing, editing and proofreading skills
- Demonstrated ability to work with multiple stakeholders
- Native-level English
- Experience working on B2C products
You might be a good fit if you
- Enjoy working in a fast paced environment
- Are able to complete hands-on work while aligning closely with a strategic vision
- Approach writing with a testing mindset
- Quickly absorb new cultural settings and understand how they impact Sendwave’s brand and design strategy
Bonus points if you
- Write an interesting cover letter
- Are familiar with the diaspora communities we serve
- Are fluent in written French, Spanish, Italian, Wolof or Swahili (in addition to English)
- Have experience using SEO principles to maximize copy’s reach
- Have experience working in C2C environments
- Our team of over 200 employees are fully distributed across the world— working from coffee shops, homes, and coworking spaces — making us one of the larger fully distributed growth-stage startups in the world.
- We are proud parents, community organizers, farmers, play in bands, teach yoga , moonlight as YouTube influencers, are former Olympians, and serial entrepreneurs.
- We collectively speak over twenty languages, including Akuapem, Amharic, Bengali, Ewe, Fante, Ga, Igbo, Kalenjin, Luganda, Oromo, Somali, Swahili and Wolof.
- We recently joined forces with WorldRemit, another remittance company, and we’re excited about the ways we can continue to provide the best service to our users.
How to apply
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. If interested, please submit your resume & cover letter describing your interest in Sendwave below. Please also indicate the countries in which you have work authorization.
Confidence can sometimes hold us back from applying for a job. But we’ll let you in on a secret: there’s no such thing as a ‘perfect’ candidate. Sendwave is a place where everyone can thrive. So however you identify and whatever background you bring with you, please apply if this is a role that would make you excited to wake up everyday.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.