SmartNews is looking for a night and weekend editor with impeccable news judgment, news production experience, knowledge of content operations and an ability to juggle tasks in a fast-paced environment. We’re seeking someone who’s driven by the urgency of breaking news and who can thrive under pressure to get information out quickly to those who need it. This position works West Coast hours, but we welcome applicants across the U.S.
SmartNews’s content team is responsible for delivering breaking news through push notifications, news curation, and helping to develop new content experiences within the app. In this role you will work alongside senior editors to handle day-to-day operations, send push alerts, develop coverage plans for major events and monitor breaking news in real time.
News is the defining part of this role: You should excel when events are unfolding in real time, display high editorial standards, and balance both accuracy and speed. You’ll also need a strong understanding of the media landscape, as SmartNews partners with hundreds of publishers including the AP, USA Today, NPR, LA Times and more. Founded in Tokyo in 2012, SmartNews has quickly become the go-to source of news for millions of users around the world, and a leading news and information curation mobile app.
This is a paid position on a 1099 contractor basis that is performed remotely. The range for this position is $32.00-$38.50 per hour. Actual rate will be commensurate with experience.
The successful candidate will have:
- Background in digital media, journalism, writing or content management preferred.
- Knowledge of AP Style.
- Knowledge of remote-work softwares including Slack, Zoom, Google Drive and Google Hangouts.
- Expert news judgment, an ability to think critically and read between the lines, as well as a demonstrated understanding of journalism ethics.
- Knowledge of and proficiency with social media platforms.
- Great communication skills, comfort working independently and in a remote environment.
- Experience with digital publishing and tools, smartphone apps (particularly news) and/or ability to quickly learn new software and platforms.
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.