About Blavity, Inc.: Blavity, Inc. is a venture-funded technology and new media company, founded in 2014 around a simple idea: enable black millennials to tell their own stories. Today, we are home to the largest network of platforms and lifestyle brands serving the multifaceted lives of Black millennials & gen-z through original content, video and unique experiences. The company has grown into a market leader for Black media, reaching over 80 million millennials per month through our growing brand portfolio which includes: Blavity News, Blavity Politics, 21Ninety, AfroTech, Travel Noire, and Shadow & Act. Assembled of passionate, high-energy, and focused rock-stars, our Blavity, Inc. Team executes with our values at the forefront of mind: Love of Community, Transparency and Communication, Collective Responsibility, Fail Fast. Blavity, Inc. is continuously looking for new team members to help us continue to scale, cultivate our community, and advance our strategic direction.
Job Summary: The Writer, Blavity News is responsible for sourcing, writing, and reporting on stories that affect and reflect the Black community; including politics, pop culture, and trending news. In collaboration with the Blavity News Editorial Team, this position involves identifying and writing news stories, conducting research, interviewing sources, and reviewing viral trends. The ideal candidate thrives in a fast paced environment, is open-minded, persistent, quick and effective at reporting, and is an excellent storyteller.
This position is a 1099 contract and will be overseen by the Editor-in-Chief, Blavity News.
- Write up to four news stories per shift
- Source relevant news stories and stay abreast of viral trends on social media worth covering
- Curate questions to interview sources
- Pitch original long-form content twice a month
- Diligently flag and file stores
- Attend bi-weekly writers’ calls
- Education: Preferred BA/BS in journalism or relevant work experience
- Experience: 1-3 years of experience writing and reporting for a digital news publication
- Other Experience:
- Experience in news aggregation and reporting
- Experience writing news stories on tight deadlines
- Fact-checking and ensuring all information is accurate/credible
- Competencies: Ability to pitch creative story angles that resonate with readers; a strong sense of journalistic ethics
- Preferred Interest: A healthy appreciation of GIFs and Black culture
Details: This is a remote contract position.
To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter online at BlavityInc.com/Careers.
Blavity is committed to creating a diverse environment free of discrimination and harassment, and building a team that represents a variety of backgrounds, perspectives, and skills. Blavity is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, HIV Status, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.
To apply for this job please visit bit.ly.