So…I’m sitting here thinking about how my quarterly taxes are due in January and probably many of you are having the same experience. Freelance writers don’t pay taxes in the same manner as those who are salaried employees. We have to plan ahead and predict. For freelance veterans, this may all seem routine. However, new freelancers might be confused as to how to pay taxes as a freelancer and estimate taxes if needed. Many don’t even realize they have to put away money from each gig for taxes.
To help, I’ve prepared a list of posts about freelance taxes. Hopefully you’ll find some, if not all, helpful.
From the Freelance Writing Jobs Network:
- Tax Tips for UK Freelancers
- What Every Freelancer Needs to Know About Taxes
- How to Solve Freelance Tax Problems
- When a Writer Needs to Hire a CPA
- Easy to Forget Income Tax Deductions
- Introduction to Quarterly Taxes
- 3 Ways to Reduce Your Freelance Writing Taxes and Help Yourself
- Tax Tips for Freelance Writers
- 20 Tax Deductions for Freelancers
- Year End Tax Tips for Freelance Writing Businesses
- When Your Freelance Writing Business Gets Audited
From Around the Web:
- From the IRS: This Guide to Estimated Taxes is very helpful and will tell you if you need to file quarterly estimated taxes and how to go about doing so.
- Freelance Tax FAQs at The Anti 9 to 5 Guide – This post is from 2006 but it’s still very helpful.
- Taxes and Freelancing: A very useful roundup from About.com Tax Planning.
- Freelance Switch included a very useful post about saving for taxes in their series on The Business of Freelancing.
- Writing.org’s guide to freelance taxes is simple to understand.
- The Writers Technology Companion discusses using Outright, a free online service that simplifies the quarterly tax process.
- Freelance Sprout helps you to prepare for freelance taxes all year long.
- How Should a Freelancer Prepare for the Tax Season? Timely advice from About.com Freelance Writing.
- If your client doesn’t pay you for a job, can you write it off? At About.com Freelance Writing.
- Small Business Taxes for Freelance Writers at Artic Llama
- Tax Issues for Freelance Writers at About.com Business Finance
- Making Sense of Freelance Blogging Taxes at About.com Weblogs
- Tax Tips for Freelance Bloggers at About.com Weblogs
- Freelance Writers and Estimated Taxes at LoveToKnow
- How to Pay Estimated Taxes at About.com Tax Planning
Do you have any questions or tips about freelance taxes that haven’t been addressed here? Let us know!