Treehuggers, today is your day. I’ve researched some environmental and nature writing markets for those of you who rock the green freelance writing jobs. If there are online guidelines, I posted the links. If I can’t find online guidelines, I included contact information so you can contact the market directly for updated guidelines. As with all other markets posted recently, don’t forget to read several past issues in order to familiarize yourself with each publication and follow all instructions for submission. These environmental writing markets are current as of February 2010.
- American Forest – Pays $250 – $1000. 75% written. Please see online guidelines.
- Appalachian Trailway News – Pays $25 – $300. 40% freelance written. Contact for complete guidelines.
- Conscious Choice – Pays $150 – $1000. 95% freelance written. Contact [email protected] for current guidelines.
- Earth Island Journal – Pays $50 – .20/word. 80% freelance written. Contact [email protected] for current guidelines.
- The Environmental Magazine – Pays .30/word. 60% freelance written. See online guidelines.
- High Country News – Pay is negotiable. 70% freelance written. Please see online guidelines. (scroll down)
- National Parks – Pays $1300. 60% freelance written. Please see online guidelines.
- Natural History – Pays $500 – $2500. 15% freelance written. Email [email protected] for current guidelines.
- Northern Woodlands – Pays .10/word. 60% freelance written. Please see online guidelines.
- Ocean Magazine – Pays $75 – $500. 100% freelance written. Please see online guidelines. (You may want to request more substantial guidelines.)
- Orion – Pays $300 – $2000. 90% freelance written. Please see online guidelines. Note: They aren’t currently accepting submissions, but check guidelines page often for next call.
If you liked these markets, you might also enjoy last weeks market lists:
- 40 More Freelance Writing Markets Paying $100 or More
- 75 “Write for Us” Pages
- 21 Poetry Markets
- 19 Parenting Markets
- 16 Greeting Card Markets
- …and don’t miss our regular Monday Markets
If you successfully query these markets or have tips to share for pitching, do share in the comments.
Annika Hipple says
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Conscious Choice folded in spring 2009. (I used to write for them.) Their old content is still online at lime.com, but the magazine no longer exists. I don’t know if and how much lime.com pays for content, but I would be surprised if it’s much.
Thanks, for this. It helps a lot.
I am going into Renewable Resource Management this fall and I am really interested in writing either a column or just a simple one page Environmental news paper.. Either to be placed into a paper seperately or placed simply in mail boxes. I am really not sure where to start!! Any advice would be great!
Conscious Choice is still in the 2010 Writer’s Market (happened to look today, for the first time in ages), and so are all these mags plus a few more…it’s a good resource, but I’m curious about what else is out there these days too!
Fine way of describing, and pleasant piece of writing to get information concerning my presentation subject