When I first began freelancing, I found clients by searching for “Write for Us” pages of different websites. In fact, I found a couple of cushy gigs writing for websites that weren’t very well known. I’ve been wanting to compile a list of many of these types pages for some time, and since we’re talking about markets this week, it seemed to be as good a time as any. You’d be surprised at how many unadvertised opportunities are out there. Today’s offering is only part one.
Keep in mind that I did my best to find paying markets. If the “Write for Us” page clearly states it’s a non-payer, I didn’t include it. I also didn’t include those markets only paying a rev share. Some pages here didn’t indicate one way or another whether they pay. If I thought there was a chance, I dropped it on the list. If payment is indicated, it’s noted next to the link. In many cases, it’s noted there is pay, but the amount isn’t specified. Also, some of these are book publishers. Since many members of the Freelance Writing Jobs community are aspiring book authors, I felt it appropriate to add them here.
I hope you find something here that interests you!
75 Write for Us Pages
- About.com – Pays $675/month plus bonuses
- Adobe Press – Accepting book proposal.
- American Ceramics Society – $35/blog post – $350 – $900/article
- American School Board Journal – Payment varies
- American Speech – Language Hearing Association – Unspecified pay
- Archaeology Magazine – Payment varies.
- AskDeb.com – Unspecified pay. (no relation)
- AuctionBytes – $20/article
- Bilblio Buffet – Pays $10 – $30
- Brady Books – Textbook publisher accepts proposals
- BrothersFit – $20+/post
- The Business Edition – Unspecified pay
- Business Today – Unspecified pay
- Campus Nut – Unspecified pay
- The Change Agent – Pays $50
- Cisco Press – Looking for Book Proposals
- Code Gravity – Send rate quote with query.
- Complinet – Unspecified pay.
- Consumerist – Not sure about the pay.
- CraftBits – Unspecified pay.
- CrazyLeaf Design – Payment starts at $20/post
- DatabaseDev. – $30 – $50/article
- Developer Tutorials – $30 – $100
- Dollar Stretcher – Pays .10.word
- Dropzone.com – $100
- EclipseZone – Unspecified pay.
- Expat Daily News – Unspecified pay.
- Freelance Switch – Pays $60/guest post
- GoMediaZine – Pays up to $300/article
- Graphic Mania – Payment varies
- Green Options – Payment varies
- Green Prophet – Unspecified pay.
- HackNMod – $10 – $40/post
- Hand Cell Phone – Pays $8 – $15/cell phone review.
- Head First Book s– Accepting proposals
- Home School today – Payment varies. Averages .10/word
- The Humanist – Unspecified pay.
- IBM Press – Accepting book proposals.
- International Living – Pays $50
- ISHN – Contact for guidelines
- Jewish Daily Forward – Payment varies
- Killer Directory – $15/post
- LabMice – Pays $60 – $100
- Los Angeles Restaurants – Pays up to $40/article
- LoveToKnow– Pays $20 – $25 for a 650 word article.
- Lutheran Digest – $35/article
- MakeMeHeal – Pays $10 – $20
- Messaging Talk – Pays up to $100/article
- Michigan Metro Parents – Pays $30 – $250.
- Microsoft TechNet -Unspecified pay. Writers who are employed by Microsoft aren’t eligible for paying opportunities.
- Miller-McCune – Unspecified pay.
- MobiForge – Paying market but unspecified pay.
- Neutral Existence – $20 – $30
- PeachPit Press – Accepting book proposals.
- Pervasive Computing – Unspecified pay
- Philadelphia Restaurants – $5 – $40
- Port Iris – $10 per short story.
- ProBlogDesign – Pays $125/post
- PS Deluxe – $50/tutorial
- Qatar Vistor – $75/article
- Rough Guides – Accepting proposals.
- SAPCookbook – Unspecified pay.
- Seattle Dining – Pays $50 – $60
- Sex, etc. – $75/article
- Simple Talk – Unspecified pay.
- SitePoint – Pays $100 + bonuses
- SmallBizLink – Makes no mention of pay, but owned by Monster.com.
- SQL Server Performance – Pays $25 – $200
- Strategy Page – Pays $20/article
- Trazzler – Pays $1000/month
- Tutorial Reports – Unspecified pay – only pays contributors in India and U.S.
- Web Services Architect – Unspecified pay.
- The Woman’s Media Center – Unspecified pay.
- Youth Specialties – $40+
…To be continued. There are plenty more where these come from and I’ll be posting them here!
Please let us know if you successfully pitched one of these markets and how you did it! Also, don’t miss our lists of greeting card markets, poetry markets and our regular Monday writing markets….plus be sure to check out this list of writing markets paying over $100.
Image via stock.xchnge
Hey, Deb, this is an amazing list. Thank you. Oh, the link for About.com isn’t working.
Deb Ng says
Fixed it, Riley. Thanks!
Roseli A. Bakar says
Thanks Deb for the great list !
.-= Roseli A. Bakar´s last blog ..Turning Your Hobby into a Successful Online Home Business – The First Step =-.
Carson Brackney says
Now let’s see how many of those “we don’t advertise” sites respond to the coming tsunami of inquiries from FWJ readers!
Deb Ng says
We’ve had that problem in the past, Carson. We’re very respectful of people’s wishes and if they ask for removal, we’ll replace them with another market.
Carson Brackney says
And I was just sort of kidding… I was imagining someone at Lutheran Digest wondering how in the heck they became so popular!
Deb Ng says
Well the way I see it is if they didn’t want writers to send a pitch, they wouldn’t have a “write for us” page, still it would be fun to be a fly on the wall as they wonder why the sudden burst in traffic.
I would be really careful about Trazzler. Though they do offer contracts to write, I’ve never known anyone to get one. Rather, you have to write content for their site, and then if they like it, they’ll get in touch with you for a written contract. You could give away a lot of free content in the meantime.
Deb Ng says
Thanks for the heads up, JoAnna.
Anne G. says
I second that caution. I submitted something to them a year or so ago when they were looking for writers and was told they loved what I’d written, so I should create an account and submit more. I did so and never heard another word. I’ve spoken to dozens of others who had similar experiences.
The other negative on Trazzler is the quantity of spammy newsletters they send you after you apply. I had to establish a new account with them to unsubscribe.
.-= Serena´s last blog ..digging deeper =-.
John Hewitt says
This is one of the best ideas I have seen in a long time. Nice work Deb.
.-= John Hewitt´s last blog ..Copy/Grant/Proposal Writing Jobs — 01/21/2010 =-.
Deb Ng says
Thanks, John. As mentioned in the post – there are more coming. I compiled a huge list which I’ll be sharing more of.
Ibrahim Mahamud says
Dear sir, Application for solving my proplems of same few money am lacking to go to schoool at Senior High Level and the proplem is just money and i am writing to u to give me same money u are just like to give me.My Poster Address Kassimiyah Islamic Junior High School,Post Office Box 11,Bimbilla Northern Region.
Great list! Just a note, the Sex Etc. listing is only for writers 19 and under.
.-= Genesis´s last blog ..Thank You for Registering! =-.
You also have to be American to apply to Sex Etc.
I’m American and over 19, but that link didn’t work when I clicked it! 🙁
.-= Susan´s last blog ..5 Tips for Maintaining Your Blogging Momentum =-.
Paul Novak says
Great list. Much appreciated. I spend so much time on promotion, designing, writing, SEO that every bit that someone does for me is a great help. Been meaning to build a list of these for some time and this will be a good start.. Nice work.
Naomi Hamm says
You know what I’d like to see is a mention of how these sites pay, via Western Union, Moneygram and or paypal, USD checks and or cash? It would really help some of us to know all of that if at all possible. thanks a lot. bye for now.
Looks like one of the typewriters I learned on in high school. My kids would think: “What is that thing?”
Thank you, Deb. This is very valuable and we really don’t appreciate you enough for your efforts. To come up with this idea, spend time and effort looking and to share it all with the community – wow, you’re doing a wonderful service and thank you for that!
I just tried applying to one – the SmallBizLink( the one owned by Monster)and the email address is not valid. I’m trying to find a link from monster…I’ll let you know if I succeed in finding the right one.
.-= babylovesbooks´s last blog ..Nurturing Compassion by Reading to Kids =-.
The smallBizLink site contact email id is not working. I submitted a query to submit an article but didnt got any reply from them.
Vikas Gupta says
Thanks for the list. The Love To Know link is incorrect.
Vikas Gupta says
The correct link is http://www.lovetoknow.com/write-for-us.htm
.-= Vikas Gupta´s last blog ..A Hindi Poem Against the Use of Polybags =-.
babylovesbooks (Rupa) says
Oops! As it turns out, the email is in fact right. Thanks!
.-= babylovesbooks (Rupa)´s last blog ..Nurturing Compassion by Reading to Kids =-.
Well a huge list of sites. But i am really eager to know from others who have applied for this oppurtunities.I am not able to know which one is geniune and which one is fraud. After doing work i didnt get a single pay from last couple of months.Lot of fraud offers now-a-daya.Hope this community helps me in getting a contract.
Naomi Hamm says
To be honest, some of the sights I have had problems with. Like sex, etc. Are you allowed to write for them if you are not a teenager?
And socialsparks. Real bad and more confusing, not worth the time or problems you will encounter.
Then just know there was something else, oh yes I know now oDesk. Had problems with that site because I couldn’t remember my password. Upon trying to set up a new password and a reply it didn’t seem at all to even take my username of which I had already set up a little while ago.
And then there is the title? What? Missnaomi, etc.
Now you all know why our parents and teachers told us to never think about being writers and artsits!
It still doesn’t make it right!
Simply a great article. I was looking for websites that accepts guest bloggers. I found this article. I did not know that a person can even earn through guest blogging. Just keep writing this type of great articles.
Jonha Revesencio (@jonharules) says
Great list, Deb! I was at Carol Cites blog earlier reading a similar list and I don’t know how I got here but it’s definitely a must-bookmark!
Thks for great links
Varinder Pal Singh says
WOW..!! A great list of Write For Us Pages very informative post.
Great article….I select labmice….Thanks
Never knew about some of these sites. Great information, will try some of them.
Satish Gandham says
You can add this to the list 🙂
Quite a comprehensive list. I think a few of the sites seem outdated and have broken links. ex:Dropzone.com
Suzie Sauchie says
Nice list, although a few of the links lead to a 404… Maybe an updated post may be in order? Thanks for posting! x
Very nice and helpfull post . thanks for sharing
This is also possible if they offer SEO as part of their service.
The web design on a web hosting providers website is a
quick and easy indication of the quality of the provider.
There are thousands of web-hosting service providers and all of them
claim to be the best.
Angu Ransom says
Thanks for sharing the list. It will be of help to me as i prepare to launch my e-book
”How to Know The Real You”
Moreno santos says
Thanks to info, i will follow freelancewritinggigs
Monjurul Islam says
Hello my dear,
My Name is Monjurul Islam. Thanks for sharing the list. It will be of help to me as i prepare to launch my e-book. i will follow freelancewritinggigs. I love ihis site. Best of luck.
Noemi Tasarra-Twigg says
Hello there, You have done a great job. I will definitely digg it and personally
suggest to my friends. I’m confident they’ll be benefited from
this web site.